Friday, November 28, 2008

A systematic approach to tackling human rights violations

With so many human rights issues , how does one decide which one to tackle first?

NGOs often blame governments for not tackling issues systematically, but what about the NGOs themselves?

There are several "systems" to consider.
  • Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) country framework
  • Human Rights Information and Documentation Systems, International (HURIDOCS) OpenEvsys system
  • Universal Periodic Review (UPR) process
I used inverted commas for systems, because the 3 above are very different animals.
  • The OHCHR country framework is useful as a FAQ into the background of a country
  • The HURIDOCS system is a database used to document human rights violations
  • The UPR is a new UN process where each country's human rights record is reviewed periodically (Singapore is due for reporting in 2011)
I think I'll start with the OHCHR country framework. Actually, I have to admit that I first came across this document in 2006. The project has stayed dormant. I hope to kickstart the process again...

No comments: